Saturday, May 22, 2010

And Then it Began

It started when I got fired.

Wait.

It started when Sam went into Culinary Arts, I think. That's when the big decision that food was to be her life happened, with the commitment that comes with laying down a few grand worth of tuition fees. My getting fired was the catalyst*.

So here I was, unemployed, bored, restless, depressed, and yet being encouraged by this Sam person whenever I made myself a veritable mountain of comfort food that hey, I'm kind of good at this cooking thing despite my inability to use a knife with any sort of proficiency.

And, Sam insisted, she was a chef-in-training and I was a former graphic designer with a touch in the kitchen. Obviously this meant it was time for cakes.

The support we're getting for this little adventure is great. In fact, we're filling our first non-paid-commission/project-thing today with a simple white cake with lemon buttercream frosting. It's currently an interesting mix of smells in the Kitchen of Dispair with the overwhelming smell of lemon zest in one corner, and a chicken carcass slowly being turned into stock simmering in the other, and I have a good feeling about it all.

The blog thing, well, I'm going to credit the inspiration for this to the heavenly Miss Kat who's love of butter should be an inspiration to us all, and will be my first shout out for food blog saturday. Stay tuned for cake updates later today!

-Jess


*I'm not going to get into the being fired bit. It was a bit of a situation that I still don't feel was treated fairly, but it's in the past (regardless of how much it affects my inability to get hired right now...)

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying reading about your culinary adventures girls! (Jess's Mom)

    ReplyDelete