Saturday, May 22, 2010

Suddenly, Lemon Cake!

With Sam getting back into the swing of things and myself learning the fine art of cake from scratch, Sam's landlady's mentioning that her sister's birthday was tomorrow made a good launching point for the Great Cake Experiments.

This cake wasn't really a lemon cake in the truest sense... It was actually a vanilla cake with lemon buttercream frosting and lemon pie filling in between the layers. It's a bit lopsided, and the piping could be better... but hey... I'm an icing virgin and Sam was suddenly in desperate need of food due to blood sugar dropping so it was up to me! I was also the one that went a slight bit insane with the lemon slices. I don't even know.


Needless to say, despite her involvement, the sheer amount of citrus in this thing would've sent Sam into some sort of rashy allergy fit so I did a lot of the handling once the lemon juice went in. Bev thought the thing was great when it was delivered, probably moreso since I doubt she was honestly expecting a cake in such short order, so for a first attempt we're pretty proud.

What The N00b learned:

The more you whip buttercream, the lighter it gets! In hindsight this is incredbly obvious but I'm glad I know it now, especially since the icing was a bright yellow color when I began.

We also figured that I'm Sam's perfect Sous Chef. Most of the icing process consisted of me carefully measuring out our resources and Sam just slathering the stuff on despite my slightly pained expression.

-Jess

2 comments:

  1. LOOKS SO INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS :D :D

    Do you think you guys can post the recipes up as well??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that might be viable. We've been finding them online. I'll get Jess to scrounge up the recipes!

    ReplyDelete