Thursday, July 8, 2010

Beach Day, 40 degrees and grilled Souvlaki



After a wonderful day in the sun at the lake, I got the idea to do some sort of souvlaki for dinner since we have plenty of pork tenderloins still and some leftover ingrediants from movie night I've been itching to use.

Pork Souvlaki in Orange Yoghurt Sauce - Easy

What We Used:

  • 1 cup plain yoghurt
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • pinch of white pepper
  • pinch of rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 1 tablespoon oregano
  • 1 orange, zested and juiced
  • a dash of Worchestershire Sauce
  • 1/4 cup Olive oil
  • 2 cloves elephant garlic
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1 pork tenderloin, cut into medium sized cubes

I prepped the sauce first since I needed to put the pork into it right away. I put the yoghurt, spices, oil, Worchestershire sauce and the orange juice and zest into a bowl, mixing it all together and letting it sit while I cubed the pork. I then dredged the pork in the sauce. YUM. It makes such a lovely sound.

After that, I prepped the vegetables. I sliced the garlic and the pepper into thick slices, cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and then into half moons, and cut the onion into quarters, pulling it into petals.

After everything was ready, we broke out the skewers! You can layer them however you want, add whatever other vegetables you'd like or take things out if you don't like them. We ALMOST had exactly enough stuff for each skewer, but we still ended up with one that was only meat, onions and garlic.



We used our grill, but you can also use a barbecue to cook them, or broil them in the oven until the meat is cooked all the way through and browned however much you'd like.

We paired these with Crash Hot Potatoes, which are such a hit, I think they've become a staple in our house.

-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment