Saturday, June 12, 2010

Ye Olde Late Post

The camera is down, so apologies... no pictures while it's being sent in for repairs.

Friday night was a little rainy, and Sam was a bit uncertain about what we should make for dinner. Of course, I decided to shout out one of my old stand-bys: Mac and Cheese. With a twist, of course. My goal was to not use ketchup on top (something I'm notorious for.)

Jess and Sam's Mac and Cheese with Chicken

What We Used
  • 2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
  • 1 large head of broccoli
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese, cubed
  • black pepper to taste
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • breadcrumbs
  • seasoning salt
  • garlic powder
  • onion powder
  • asian chili sauce
Sam was kind enough to set the pasta to boiling and cut the broccoli into small bits and set to steaming while I made the sauce.

I generally start my cheese sauce with a blonde roux: In a saucepan over medium heat I melt the butter then add the flour and mix until it's a golden bubbly thing that doesn't look like it contains flour anymore. This thickens up the sauce later.

Slowly I added the milk... Normally I would only use 1 cup, but in the end it was thicker than I liked so I used more milk to thin it. So it's a good idea to reserve some of the milk for this purpose. Once the milk was happily simmering, I dropped in the cheese cubes and stirred until it was all melted. That's about it. I added a little black pepper as well.

You can tell this sauce is done when it can coat a spoon, but isn't so thick that it makes stretchy cheese strings.

We were kind of going for a not quite overwhelmingly spicy breaded chicken to eat with this stuff, but didn't want to do buffalo chicken (which seems to be the standard faire for eating with mac and cheese). Sam butterflied the chicken and rubbed it down with the asian chili sauce, then rolled it in a mix of the breadcrumbs, seasoning salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. We then fried the chicken in grapeseed oil.

When the pasta was done, we strained it, stirred the broccoli and cheese sauce in, and topped it with strips of the chicken and a little grated cheese.

Basically the verdict was 'homg.'

Anyway, sorry for the late post... I really recommend this dish to anyone wanting some good comfort food... and if you have any interesting variations on mac and cheese, let us know!

-Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment